Monday, January 16, 2012

Run, Forrest, Run

In six weeks I will be running the Run for Hope half marathon in Oxford (God willing)!!  I signed up for it during a brief moment of insanity.  I kid.  Sort of.  I'm not gonna lie.. I hate running.  It makes me sweat way too much, my sinuses start flowing like Niagra Falls, and afterward my knees feel like that of a 90 year old.  I hope I am on point as far as mileage goes for training purposes.  I never really found a training guide that I liked online.  All of the BEGINNER guides expected you to be able to run 3 or 4 miles from day one!  Umm.. when I first started I could barely run a quarter of a mile.  I've come a long way since November.  Today I ran 6.5 and walked 1 mile.  I think over the course of 6 weeks I can manage to run at least 6 more miles.  I'm nervous because I haven't been running as much as I should have over the last few months even though I've been on break.  We start rotations back tomorrow and between them and working at the pharmacy in Walmart I'll only have about two days off out of every fourteen.  I'll just have to make time for running I suppose.  I think I can, I think I can!  I just wish I was faster!  I'm anticipating it taking me close to 3 hours to run 13.1.  Too slow! 

Momma and Daddy Santa brought me new Brooks for Christmas.  I love them and the people at Fleet Feet for helping me pick them out.  If you need some really good shoes visit them!  They watch you walk to see where you put pressure on your feet to help you pick out the best structured shoe for your feet.  They also recommend getting shoes one size bigger than normal to run in.  I love my new shoes.  They definitely make a big difference. 

A friend told me about gmap-pedometer.  This is such a big help when planning routes.  I previously had been driving around Oxford in my car clocking the mileage on my odometer.  Using gmap is so much faster and easier!! 

Random:  Ever since I've upped my mileage I have been craving bananas.  In the past, I have hated bananas!  I didn't like the smell or consistency.  Now I eat one everyday.  I guess my body really wants that potassium!

Pray for me people!  I'll definitely need it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment