Sunday, June 9, 2013

Year Five

I honestly cannot believe that we have been married for five years! The years have gone by so quickly, they are almost like a blur in my memory! This year especially.. I feel like we just moved to Athens a month ago and we've almost been here for an entire year! 

We've never been on an "anniversary trip" before, so this year we decided to go somewhere to celebrate. Tallulah Falls is less than an hour and a half from Athens and we had been wanting to go for awhile now. We hiked the entire Tallulah Gorge (5.5 miles?) from top to bottom. It was beautiful! Parts of the hike were a little strenuous, but in a fun way (like using your entire body to climb boulders and cross rivers, etc). Once you get to the bottom of the gorge, you can slide off of these huge rocks into a pool of water. A lot of kids were doing it and it looked so appealing, so I went for it even though I didn't have my bathing suit. There was a 90% chance that I was going to slip and get soaked crossing the river (like 3 other people we watched) so I figured I might as well go ahead and get wet doing what I what I wanted. 




That night, we had dinner at our hotel (Lake Rabun Hotel and Restaurant). The chef is a "farm to table" chef, so all of the food comes from local farmers.  The filet mignon was phenomenal.  I can't even tell you how great breakfast was the next morning! We loved our entire experience at Lake Rabun. 

Saturday morning we did an 8-line zipline course. Neither of us had ever done a real zipline before so it was really fun and exciting! I even went upside down on one of the lines! 

Afterwards, we drove through the "German Alpine city" of Helen. It was really cool to see,  but definitely a tourist trap and slightly cheesy. We visited Anna Ruby Falls and got some great pictures of the double waterfalls. We went to the Old Sautee store on the way and looked all of the fun, old stuff and had lunch. We stopped at a farmers' market on the side of the street on our way back to Athens. It was a great little getaway. We've pretty much decided that we will be going back at least once a year while we live here! 


Happy Anniversary to my sweet husband who I love very much and am very proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment